Tuesday, August 1, 2017

5/21/17 Tea and Agriculture fields

Wow there are a lot of bugs here! Every step I take I spot another bug and let me tell you they are huge! Got up dropped one of my malaria pills through a hole in the floor which was kinda funny but also not good because ya know… malaria. For breakfast we headed up to the restaurant and holy sh*t it was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. A mountain in the clouds surrounded by lush trees and plants. No camera could do it justice. We had a British breakfast and watched a video about how the tea was made then got a walk through tour of the factory. We learned about the process of tea making and saw the equipment they have to dry, roll, and test the tea leaves. Tea that comes out inferior is sent to other companies to sell. I had no idea that you can make every kind of tea from the same plant - it just depends on how it’s processed. Next we got to try the tea, which was awesome because I love tea! I think my favorite was their standard tea but it is fun to try all the others. We got to put on the hats and basket and tried to pick some tea. I have no idea how the tea pickers don’t roast in the sun.
A small group of us opted to go to see agricultural fields and I am so glad I did! We first got lunch at a restaurant in town and I had rice noodles with veggies and it was SO good! Also a side of french fries:) In Malaysia they bring out food as soon as it is ready instead of waiting so everyone can eat at once so most people were finished eating way before others got their food.  We went to a little house on a farm and got to look at all the things they were growing, like japanese cucumber and cabbage. The kids and cats at the house were so so so cute...even though I hate when the cats have the broken tail:( The little girl had dirt all over her face so when we arrived, her brother cleaned her face super quickly with a rag, which was very cute to watch but I hope they didn’t feel embarrassed or the need to look different in front of us. Though they were very shy when we were talking to them, as soon as we were headed off down the hill they were screaming “Bye, Bye!” at us, which was adorable. After that we headed to another market which had very nicely packaged and clean vegetables, probably because it was slightly more of a touristy area.
We then headed home. I took a quick shower and then got some dinner at the restaurant, which was an amazing cheese omelet and tea ice cream. Afterwards, we had a discussion about our timed swims and there was a huge range of numbers between groups. Kayla wasn’t sure what species of parrot fish we were supposed to be counting, Kelsey said she thought she was recounting the same fish, and I kept straying from the transect so I’m sure that is why our numbers were so different.
Before bed I gathered a group of people to go on a bug adventure with me, to find and take pictures and videos of bugs since I get too scared to do alone, and it was a fun way to end the night! I then crawled into my bed, full of bugs, and drifted off to sleep after popping a few Benadryl. Though I don’t love the bugs, I am very glad we stayed here to experience a traditional style of living and was pushed out of our comfort zones.
With all of the endemic species in Borneo, there is so much at risk. With tea, climate change is very damaging. With changes in weather, and different length dry or rainy seasons, tea is growing at different rates. Currently tea is growing really fast, which actually makes inferior tea since it changes the chemistry of the tea and alters the taste. Borneo is known for tea exports, so as temperatures rise, the economy will take a major hit. Going through the village I wondered how the people view us westerners? We are often coming into their country and telling them how things should be done. I think of Nick and wonder, in my future, if I end up going to different countries for conservation, will my voice have any power as a white woman? Is it my place to speak up even though I can’t truly understand their culture and lives? That’s the great thing about this line of work: you always are thinking and questioning whether your actions are welcomed or warranted.













No comments:

Post a Comment